Hike the trails of Montserrat, the world-famous multi-peaked “sawed mountain,” and visit the Benedictine Abbey while you learn about its amazing history with an expert local guide on this fun half-day trip from…
- Adult Ages 14+ years old
- Child Ages 10-13 years old
Hike La Garrotxa and visit the medieval town of Besalú on a small group tour
- Small Group Tour (max. 8 people) ensures a personalized experience
- Lead by passionate multilingual local guide (English/Spanish/Catalan)
- Hike in the beautiful Fageda d’en Jordà and La Garrotxa volcanic area Natural Park
- Have a traditional lunch at a local restaurant (own expense)
- See the hanging town of Castellfollit de la Roca
- Visit the medieval town of Besalú
After about one-and-a-half-hour drive in a comfortable AC minivan, we will arrive at La Garrotxa volcanic zone Natural Parc. We will get ready and start hiking across the Fageda d’en Jordà, a unique beech forest growing at low altitude (550 m) upon the rugged undulating lava flow emitted by the Croscat volcano.
This place is magic and full of peace and if visiting in autumn you will have the chance to see the spectacle of the colors of nature. We will continue hiking through Santa Margarita and Croscat volcanoes and singular landscapes around.
After leaving the Fageda, the path will take us into the volcanic area, starting with Santa Margarida, a volcano, whose explosion opened up a wide circular crater in whose midst the eponymous Romanesque church stands today. We will continue hiking through Croscat volcano which with its 160 m in height, makes it the highest volcanic cone in the Iberian Peninsula. For many years one of its flanks was quarried and today an impressive scar remains as a reminder of the once active quarry.
After about 3,5-hour pleasant hike we will arrive back to the starting point and we will go straight to have lunch (not included, but we can book a traditional local restaurant for you).
After lunch, we will head to Besalú, one of the best preserved Catalan medieval towns, where you will feel like you are travelling back in time. There we will enjoy a guided tour across its magical streets and have some free time.
Book your La Garrotxa hiking and Besaluú tour online today.
- Transport by comfortable air-conditioned minivan
- Professional English-speaking local guide
- Guided hike
- Bottled water
- Hiking Poles
- Personal insurance
- Guide gratuities (optional)
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- Hiking/sport shoes
- Comfortable clothes
- Waterproof jacket
- Sunglasses & sunscreen